[Openicc] CUPS Color Management under Linux gets into distros

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Mar 4 18:48:59 PST 2011

On Mar 4, 2011, at 5:38 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2011, at 7:13 AM, Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
>> If someone was coming to us and say that exporting images to PDF is required
>> by his print shop/editor, then we will have to implement a PDF export that
>> countains the ICC profile (might be needed when we are done with implementing
>> a full comic workflow, but until now, PDF is overkill for exchanging images).
>
> I would think a large percentage of comic design would be vector based, even the text that looks sorta hand written could be a font, and PDF would be highly suited for this task.

For a typical press, a RIP rasterizes vector and text to 2400 spi (samples rather than dots or pixels, since at this stage it's neither) in order to get smooth text and vector shapes.

This resolution depends on the line screen of the press, so it's not a fixed 2400spi. If you don't know exactly what it's supposed to be at the time you originally create the document, you must up or downsample. This is inherently lower quality than generating those cells from vector/text directly, at actual device resolution. This is true for screen previews, proofing, and final printing - all of which are devices at different resolutions.

So if there's any vector or text data in these illustrations, it seems PDF is the better format to use as well as more efficient.