[Openicc] CUPS Color Management under Linux gets into distros

Hal V. Engel hvengel at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 08:54:35 PST 2011

On Friday, March 04, 2011 06:37:40 PM Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Mar 4, 2011, at 7:00 PM, Hal V. Engel wrote:
> > > In KDE? :) Gwenview isn't color managed?
> >
> > I don't think it is.
> >
> > > Or maybe digiKam isn't color managed? :)
> >
> > Yes it is if the user has set things up.
>
> Better than nothing, but why should the user have to set things up to get
> sensible results? It seems like it's the nonsensical results that should
> require intervention to obtain.
>

> Chris Murphy

Currently digiKam is opt in.  So users have to turn CM on and set things like
the display profile.   This is an artifact of the digiKam team doing the CM
work before we had things like ICC_PROFILE X11 atoms.  At this point most
systems still don't have this atom set.  In general I agree that basic CM
should just work without user intervention but this requires that systems have
utilities installed for setting up display profiles including setting the X11
ICC_PROFILE atom.   Most systems currently don't have this stuff installed and
many distros don't even have packages so that users can install these without
having to resort to building these from source.

Hal