[Openicc] Printing Plans... Testcharts

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Mon Mar 7 02:11:58 PST 2011

Hello all,
Looking ar commercial inkjet solutions, the detailed tasks for
inklimiting, linearization / calibration , re-calibration, profiling are
handled different in every solution.

e.g. some vendors provide only per channel ink-limit, othet provide
additional ink limits for two, three and / or four channels.

also re-calibration is handled differnt in such solution ( a
recalibration bring an ink-media setting to a defined reference, whitout
the need to make a new profile)

e.g. some vendors do a recalibration per channel, some vendors do
recalibration with a devicelink appoach.

I don´t think that it makes sense trying to standardize this steps and
expose it in the PPD. Let such things be driver specific, but expose the
ICC profile for a (re-calibrated) driver setting in a standardized way
to CUPS, that differnt XXXtoraster filter can use this profile as a
target profile.

If a utilitity for inklimit, linerarization, re-calibration and
profiling interacts directly with the driver, it can lead the user step
by step to right tasks with doing all the necessary driver
configurations in the background.

If all such steps should be abstracted from the driver, and work through
the whole CUPS chain with different libraries creating print spool files
and different xxxtoraster filters, we will introduce a lot of potential
places where things can go wrong.

kind regards
Jan-Peter

----------  Please note the new adress --------------