[Openicc] VMs and display correcotions

Stefan Döhla doe at doehla.de
Thu Mar 10 00:19:40 PST 2011

Am 09.03.2011 21:57, schrieb Graeme Gill:
> Stefan Döhla wrote:
>> If LUT changes happened, the display's EDID is no more valid. Hence, a
>> new one would have to be generated by the VM - or the same profile be
>> simply used within the VM (knowing that it's currently not possible to
>> do LUT changes there again) ...
>
> That way lies madness. Presumably the EDID represents the display
> behaviour,
> not the combined graphics card and display behaviour, so changing
> VideoLUTs
> should certainly _not_ change the EDID display values.

Well, to the VM the combined display + graphics card behavior appears as
the current display behavior. So the reported EDID to the the VM - in my
understanding at least - represents the display connected to the VM (not
to the host system). I agree that the change for building a profile
within the VM would probably be rather subtle.