[Openicc] Named color profiles

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Apr 10 23:33:52 PDT 2011

I am slightly confused about named color profiles also. I have seen one, because I made it myself with some software about 8 years ago. I have never seen one since. I've never seen one used, or implemented the use of one at any client location. When writing RWCM it was one of those things where we kinda had to punt on. There are few (if any at this point) tools that make them, and I think even fewer use them. It was a good idea that just somehow went nowhere.

NCP's device values are optional. The only thing required is either an XYZ or LAB value for the color. The point of device values is they can be "hand tuned" visually to get better results than just passing the XYZ/LAB values through an output device profile, for a particular device (condition) like a color laser printer.

Since the PCS is defined as D50, I don't see how you can have anything other than D50 based values. They'd have to be chromatically adapted for some other lighting condition in a CMM or elsewhere it seems.

Chris