[Openicc] Decoding named data in a named color profile

Jon Cruz jon at joncruz.org
Thu Apr 21 12:55:13 PDT 2011

On Apr 21, 2011, at 12:25 PM, Richard Hughes wrote:

> �' (174)
> '�' (134)
> ' ' (32)
> 'Y' (89)
> 'e' (101)
> 'l' (108)
> 'l' (108)
> 'o' (111)
> 'w' (119)
> ' ' (32)
> 'M' (77)
>
> Looking at the ICC spec version 4.2, the text is supposed to be 7-bit ASCII.
>
> Does anybody have any clues as to what the {AE}{86} is? I assume it's
> supposed to be a (R) and then (C) mark, as I've seen that on other
> links to HEXACHROME. It certainly doesn't look like any ACSII
> codepage, utf8, nor any type of unicode to me. Some profiles just have
> "HEXACHROME{AE} " rather than "HEXACHROME{AE}{86} "
>
> So far, I've managed to work out AE needs to be converted to C2AE to
> make a valid UTF8 string (default code page), but the 86 puzzles me.
> Has anybody got any ideas?

If we assume things are Windows Western (Cp1252) encoding, we can look those up:
http://unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/WINDOWS/CP1252.TXT

0x86	0x2020	#DAGGER
0xAE	0x00AE	#REGISTERED SIGN

That would give us "PANTONE HEXACHROME®† Yellow M"

I've seen a doc with that dagger in that context, so you're probably seeing Windows encoding there.