[Openicc] colord 0.1.6 released!

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 08:46:50 PDT 2011

On 26 April 2011 16:26, Graeme Gill <graeme at argyllcms.com> wrote:
> The ArgyllCMS code is already available for integration
> under the AGPL license (I'm prepared to change the instrument
> drivers to pure GPL V3 if that makes any difference.)

If they were "GPLv2 or later" I would be so happy. GPLv3 causes me
problems as other libraries linked by gnome are GPLv2+ and this would
make the licenses incompatible.

> I understand that Richard wants drivers with a BSD like license though,
> and I'm not prepared to give the code away, as it represents a
> significant amount of work.

Nahh, not the code. Just the hardware specifications, which I
appreciate, is pretty much like proto-code for most hardware. GPLv2+
drivers would let me plug the driver straight into colord using a tiny
wrapper.

> I think the reality is that the Linux driven sales of instruments
> don't register compared to Apple and MSWin driven sales. If things
> were otherwise, the instrument manufacturers would be providing
> Linux software.

I think this maybe true, but there are at least 2 major animation
studios that I know use colorimeters and spectrometers in Linux by the
bucketload.

Richard.