[Openicc] Google Summer of Code 2011 Students

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 12:28:33 PDT 2011

On 28 April 2011 20:08, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> I could find four laptops with the same panel manufaturer in the EDID
> entries in very different brands. They where colorimetrically not too far
> away from each other.

> Do you have he EDID block of both?

Unfortunately not, the first panel got smashed, hence why I know more
than I should about T61 screens.

> Heartedly agreed. The repository is not designed as replacement for custom
> calibrations where colour counts very much, like in proofing. Its designed
> for average users, amateurs and artists without any expensive measurement
> gear.

My high level problem with this is we either have:

* Uncalibrated
* Calibrated

The first moment we start talking about "close enough" or "similar"
profiles we're telling the user they are in some kind of
quasi-calibrated state. Should the user trust that the red chair on
ebay is going the match the red carpet? Is a "close enough" profile
really better than uncalibrated?

Richard.