[Openicc] Google Summer of Code 2011 Students

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Apr 28 22:02:34 PDT 2011

Am 28.04.11, 20:28 +0100 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 28 April 2011 20:08, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Heartedly agreed. The repository is not designed as replacement for custom
>> calibrations where colour counts very much, like in proofing. Its designed
>> for average users, amateurs and artists without any expensive measurement
>> gear.
>
> My high level problem with this is we either have:
>
> * Uncalibrated
> * Calibrated

Calibration and profiling belong inherently to each other.
I will talk in two weeks especially about that
"Connecting Device Calibration to ICC Profiles" at the LGM in Montreal[1].
(Provided the talk will be accepted.)

> The first moment we start talking about "close enough" or "similar"
> profiles we're telling the user they are in some kind of
> quasi-calibrated state. Should the user trust that the red chair on
> ebay is going the match the red carpet? Is a "close enough" profile
> really better than uncalibrated?

EDID is a improvement, VCGT might be a improvement (even though I have
reservations). Canned profiles are an improvement.
This project aims on the quality level at filling the gap between none or
canned profiles one side and individual, hand crafted calibration and
profiling.

One thing, I am not so clear about, is how to select the best quality from
a series of submmited profiles for the same device calibration. The
initial idea was to use some kind ranking. That might be subject to
cultural likings.
Are there papers on the "how to get the best of" toppic or tested
heuristics or projects which deal with similar situations?

regards

[1] http://www.libregraphicsmeeting.org/2011/