[Openicc] Google Summer of Code 2011 Students

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sun May 1 23:33:56 PDT 2011

Am 29.04.11, 15:24 -0600 schrieb Chris Murphy:
> On Apr 29, 2011, at 2:51 PM, Leonard Rosenthol <leonardr at pdfsages.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Sebastian Oliva will work on:
>> "ICC Device Profile Repository" at the openSUSE organisation
>> A colour database to allow clients to request or submit colour profiles for
>> colour managed devices. The idea was proposed at openSUSE as a
>> collaboration project in their ongoing support of colour management. It
>> will be mentored with the help from OpenICC people.
>>

>> Oh goody - another profile registry :(.
>>
>> So we already have the ICC registry and the new ECI registry.
>>
>> What do you think this one will bring that the other two will not?  And
>> that anyone will actually use it and/or care?
>
> I agree we should be tapping into this first if possible. However I don't
> think the ICC or ECI mandates include non-standard devices like desktop
> inkjets, or color lasers. Rather ANSI TRxx and FOGRA based spaces.

Leonard,

as Chris mentioned, the new pepository focuses on automatic
resolving of device calibrations to ICC profiles. That happens already
with Oyranos on a local computer. The new project extends now to the
internet for easier exchange and distribution.

The repository shall not cover any of the reference profile as hosted on
the ICC site. It will have as well no means by design to deliver default
or assumed editing spaces like sRGB or FOGRA condition based ones.
The ICC website is the first reference for this kind of profiles.