[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and Color Management

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon May 2 13:43:07 PDT 2011

Am 02.05.11, 16:58 +0200 schrieb Jan-Peter Homann:
> Hello all,
> I don´t understand why a PPD should be involved to communivate gutenprint
> settings to the final rastertoprinter driver.

I am searching a way to unambigously pass settings from the print client
(CPD, lpr) to the CUPS server and print driver (rastertoprinter).
There are two ways possible. Embedd the device calibration settings always
into the print ICC profile. Or pass these settings independently.

Can we always assume to print through ICC profiles? (target printing,
early colour binding)
Are we always allowed to alter the printers ICC profile?
(licenses, overwrite existing meta tags?)
Has that tagging side effects?
If both ways are possible, which one is to priorise?

> If the gutenprint settings are encoded as dictType in the ICC-profile in the
> printready raster file, there is no need to involve the PPD.
>
> But there is the open question, how the enduser, who prints a profiling
> target can export the gutenprint settings for later integration in the ICC
> dictType
>
> As a non-developer, I would wish, that we would have a gutenprint specific
> CPD option which has a button "Export driver settings"

Agreed. And for people who like that as a general scheme in a diagram:
http://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=Device_Settings#Profiling

An other GUI design could be to set the print profile inside the CPD with
the option to automatically embedd the settings.