[Openicc] Color Management for Ubuntu

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue May 3 03:47:29 PDT 2011

Am 03.05.11, 11:13 +0100 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 2 May 2011 08:52, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Specific for Ubuntu let me suggest you to look into CompICC [5]. This Compiz
>> plugin based desktop colour server introduces real time ICC colour
>> correction for displaying.
>
> I'm still not convinced a WM color server is the correct place for
> such functionality. There's a sizable amount of abstract i/o between
> the client and the color server which isn't always kept synchronized.

As windows tend to be almost static, the synchronisation is neglible if at
all noticed. The synchronisation inside static window areas is perfect.

> I've been playing with using GLSL shader interface code in the toolkit
> directly (GTK in my case, but easily copied into QT) and this seems to
> be a lot easier to handle.

There is no single open source toolkit yet doing colour corrections for
widgets, while CompICC is ready today.

> Not detracting from the fact that you've actually got CompICC working,
> but I think it's fair to say it's not a foregone conclusion such an
> architecture is a the best idea. The real fix is to make the GPU

It is the perfect answere for many toolkits, which authors simply ignore
colour management. Because of this fact the colour server approach is some
years ahead of what we can expect from toolkits and applications. Once
Cairo, Qt, TK, FLTK and all the others low level graphic APIs will be CM
aware, then a colour server might be obsoleted.
Until that happens the colour server approach is the only one delivering
consistent results instead of a patchwork experience we have today.

> accessible in X using mesa (no simple ask indeed), which then makes
> things trivial to implement.

It is quite possible for people to use GPU shaders in OpenGL today as you
stated yourself above. This does not affect colour management awareness.

regards