No subject

Tue May 3 09:12:53 PDT 2011

want to embedd calibration settings like vcgt, Gutenprint calibration XML,
or PPD settings inside a ICC profile meta tag for automatic resolving and
correct setup without any user intervention. If a calibration can exists
as well outside a ICC profile it is fine. E.g. vcgt does
usually not exist outside a ICC profile. Even if ArgyllCMS has some way to
place this calibration inside a CGATS file. cameraRAW calibration in
Oyranos is not exported and PPD calibration data obviously existing as
well outside of ICC profiles. We can have both if needed.

What we have to be carefule is where is the calibration state from inside
the ICC profile synced with the actual driver settings. For monitor setup
this is usually done in parallel to profile upload to the Xserver. I would
suggest a policy where the ICC profile setup covers as well the
calibration setup. That may happen in CPD/lpr for user profiles and
cupsICCProfile can handle this in the server or practical during print
queue setup. After that one time driver setup, it would be clever to
forget about the embedded calibration in the ICC profile and continue
without modifications of the driver settings. If a calibration changes by
whatever reson, the calibration changing process has to repair the former
driver state itself, e.g. screensavers in Xorg.