[Openicc] Color Management for Ubuntu

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue May 3 14:21:16 PDT 2011

Am 03.05.11, 13:13 -0400 schrieb Ann McCarthy:
> "We want to go with a explicite opt-out approach. All content shall be
> colour managed by default (typical sRGB). A robust mechanism
> for disabling system colour management is a pre condition for that scheme to
> work."
> Please can we avoid this idea that colour management can or should be
> "disabled."

I am not completely sure if you refere to the used term or the general
approach for opting out of colour management.

> Definitely we need an explicit path for building profiles -- a control that
> says 'I am building a profile, printing/displaying a test chart' or
> something like that very obvious. This is a function that has to be part of
> a color managed system.  Depending on the device, whether it is a printer or
> a scanner or a display that is being profiled at the time, the processing
> path for that 'test chart' process should be configured differently. For
> example, when building a scanner profile -- you probably still want a good
> display profile to be used for viewing assessment of the scan result, you
> just don't want an existing scan profile to be used.

The opt-out is in my understanding some explicite and very specific means
for a device class, file format and sometimes for a driver and the
according context. So, I do not see the scan target from your example
above would automatically be non colour corrected in CompICC on screen.

> When not building profiles, are there scenarios when users want to see
> uncorrected uncontrolled device behavior?  I cannot think of such scenarios.
> Please provide examples of such situations.

I discussed such a scenario with a senior movie software architect. Other
examples are early colour binding, where applications use capabilities,
which can not easily be found in system colour management. They all want
the system to stay away from manipulating colours for whatever reason.

A good policy for architecturing opt-out of colour management is to let
the programmers do more work for opting-out than she/he would have with
normal API usage, which includes colour corrections. This policy should
avoid the pitfal of lazyness being undermining colour management systems.