[Openicc] Color Management for Ubuntu

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Tue May 3 18:36:11 PDT 2011

Richard Hughes wrote:
> I agree, I don't think it makes much sense in the current XOrg
> client-server model, but with developments like wayland, using the 3d
> engine for this kind of thing makes a load more sense, at the expense
> of x11 network capabilities.

As I understood it, the plan is to implement classic X11 over the top
of wayland - ie. wayland becomes the "graphics driver".

What disturbs me most about wayland is that if it becomes adopted
directly by popular desktop systems, then (apart from breaking
the network independence of application and user that is the
primary feature of X11) the current Linux/X11 calibration and profiling
(ie. VideoLUT loading and ICC profile registration as an atom) will
probably be left by the wayside, and have to be re-implemented
(re-standardised) all over again.