[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and Color Management

Ann McCarthy almccart at lexmark.com
Wed May 4 12:26:33 PDT 2011

In line below.

Best regards,
Ann L McCarthy
Imaging Systems R&D
Lexmark International, Inc.

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>wrote:

> On May 3, 2011, at 3:57 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
>
> > On 2 May 2011 13:37, Jan-Peter Homann <homann at colormanagement.de> wrote:
> >> 1) Kai-Uwe, Richard, Graeme,
> >> Lets imagine the OpenICC community would develop a tool for adding an
> ICC
> >> dictType entry with Gutenprint driver setup to an existing ICC printer
> >> profile.
> >> What would be a good development strategy, that both Oyranos, g-c-m or
> >> ArgyllCMS can make use of this tool
> >
> > Sure, colord can do whatever it needs to do, but I would like to
> > mention a more general point before we start talking architecture and
> > code.
> >
> > If we use a GTK / QT / CPD or whatever dialog with something like this:
> >
> > ____________________
> > [   Print settings
> > [
> > [   Color management:
> > [        [_ EpsonStylusColor600PlainPaperGenuineInks.icc {>} ]
> > [        Black point compensation [X]
> > [____________________
> >
> > Then, we've **TOTALLY FAILED** at user-centric design and abstracting
> > all the low level technical details. We'd be asking users to fix the
> > gaping cracks in our architecture and blaming them when they get it
> > wrong.
>
> Yes.
> <amc> Yes, however user context choices can be presented to guide the
> underlying logic to know whether black point compensation is desired.  Part
> of the problem is lack of abstraction -- i.e., presenting the techie low
> level choice instead of the 'why would the user want to do this' choice.
>

> > From a 40,000ft viewpoint, color management is not interesting to the
> > end user.
>
> Yes.
>
> Basically what I hear being proposed is a way to use ICC profiles by
> default, rather than proprietary tables provided by the printer
> manufacturers, like what we see on Mac OS and Windows, with a default
> assumption that the source space is sRGB in all cases. In the case of
> Windows, embedded profiles indicating the source space is something other
> than sRGB, are routinely dropped. On Mac OS, ColorSync is used almost
> exclusively (by default) as a means to normalize to sRGB and then handoff to
> proprietary printer color management in the driver.

<amc> Yes - select profiles by default - guided by the goals the user has
for the project. One size fits all doesn't.

> > It makes no sense whatsoever to decouple the color profile selection
> > from the device selection (e.g. sending a document to the colorspace
> > EpsonStylusColor600PlainPaperGenuineInks when it's being printed on a
> > HP Laserjet. It also makes no sense to use
> > EpsonStylusColor600PlainPaperGenuineInks when we're using glossy paper
> > and a Glossy profile is available.
>
> This is a constant source of error, repetition, consternation, confusion,
> with existing UI. I agree. I think it should be buried. It should have been
> buried a long time ago.
> <amc> Yes,
>
> > Don't get me wrong, I think it makes a lot of sense to have a
> > super-dialog for people printing on modified hardware on 42" canvas
> > with 9 custom inks. But we can't design a general purpose architecture
> > to be compatible with that, and also for a regular user just wanting
> > to print his tax return without being bamboozled with gobbledygook.
>
> Depends on context. If I want to print my taxes on 42" canvas with 9 custom
> inks, the general purpose printing architecture should print that document,
> by default, with black only ink, just like any other device. And if I print
> a pretty picture, it should know to use the perceptual intent, also by
> default.

<amc>  which perceptual intent ;)

> It's an interesting and open question if the CPD should have an advanced
> panel for more complex requirements. Or if this "Advanced CPD" panel is
> something apps can subscribe to optionally. That way they can choose to keep
> options constrained for their users. I think that's a nice way to do this.
> And then if the "Advanced CPD" isn't enough, the application can customize
> yet another panel.

<amc> if we abstract to the what am I trying to accomplish level and then
provide a default something like 'system knows best' -- then 'Advanced' does
not have to be limited to technical gurus.