[Openicc] Color Management for Ubuntu

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed May 4 14:26:20 PDT 2011

On 4 May 2011 20:00, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> Compiz can basically be used in KDE and Gnome as a selectable compositing
> and window manager.

That's not so true with GNOME 3. You can either run mutter in the
composited environment, or metacity in the fallback mode.

> In my opinion it would make sense to join KWin's,
> mutter's and the Compiz' compositing engines.

Ha! Other than a completely different architecture and different
languages I don't see any other problems :-)

> KWin and mutter could then be implemented inside Compiz.
> But typical these projects have problems in
> sharing code. Reinventing the wheel again and again seems cool ;-)

I really think you should look at how mutter actually works before
such general statements.

> After the next Oyranos release I would like, among other projects, to
> abstract out some of the plug-in functionality into libXcm. libXcm targets
> at delivering some basic functionality and helpers for display colour
> management. That should help KWin, mutter and other projects to easier
> support the net-color spec.

I don't think it would be that hard at all to add support to mutter
for the net color spec, but as always, the devil is in the details. I
added 3d texture support to cogl in the last 6 months, and now with
GNOME 3 new enough clutter versions are starting to trickle into
distros. Owen was receptive to adding the color stuff to mutter,
although wasn't super keen on doing the work himself.

Richard.