[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Scott Geffert scott at cdiny.com
Thu May 5 09:09:53 PDT 2011

I agree with Edmund on his point about not using command line for anything. I am not a programmer, but I appreciate all the work everyone is doing to come up with a coherent approach. While I can only pop in and comment on big picture stuff I think it is critical that whatever you guys dream up that the solution is as universal as possible and does not assume that every user is a moron. In 25 years of working in the field across the entire spectrum I have never met ANYONE not capable of selecting an "advanced" button or to turn a feature off and on. The reason endusers get confused and frustrated is that each developer has created a chaotic range of implementation strategies. I don't know if it is ego, or pure commercial greed, but it is divisive and unproductive.

During the recession I have seen many people literally lose their jobs because they were deemed unproductive, when in many cases it was the  computer industry itself that has promoted this constant state of confusion as a marketing tool. It really has to end. The computer is meant to make things more efficient, and technology can do wonderful things if we level the playing field with carefully vetted standard foundations. This also leaves unlimited room for vendor-specific workflow enhancements for advanced users while not cutting out baseline color capabilities for general users. It really should be color management for all, because we all interact with images regardless of application or interest.

I think from reading these posts that somehow the community at large had reached a tipping point where things are beginning to move in the right direction.

Scott