[Openicc] Color Management for compositor mutter

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu May 5 11:31:11 PDT 2011

On May 5, 2011, at 11:20 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

>> I don't think anyone but a handful of people should understand all
>> this. If an application developer has to add a single line of low
>
> Understanding colour management should be easy to everyone interessted if well architectured and including becoming useable and teachable.
>
>> level code to "enable" color correction or to "disable" color
>> correction then we've, again, failed as architecture designers.
>
> Wrong. On osX each programmer must specify the colour space to each graphics object.

I think we're going to find maybe 3-4 developed apps that will do this on all of Linux. Maybe not even that many. We are talking about a 1/2 dozen total on Mac OS and Windows that opt-in (for something other than sRGB), and most of those are Adobe apps. So we're talking about a ton of infrastructure and effort that only a small number of apps are going to buy into. I don't think we can depend on developers specifying color spaces for each object. They will opt-out well before they do this.