[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Thu May 5 18:16:21 PDT 2011

On Thu, 5 May 2011 14:45:36 -0700, Hal V. Engel wrote:

> Keep in mind that in the CPD UI design EVERYTHING, other than which
> printer queue to use and how many copies to print, is treated as
> advanced options and are only made visible to the user if the user
> specifically selects to display one or more subsets of these
> options.  In addition, for GutenPrint, and perhaps other drivers,
> these advanced options already include things that 99+% of users
> will never touch (ink limits for example).  The user can control
> exactly what advanced options are included in the options area of
> the UI (it does not have tabs) so the user can decide exactly what
> groups of options are visible.  This UI design is specifically to
> deal with the issue of user friendliness without a loss of power
> features for users that want full control. The idea is that by
> default users get only the absolute minimum options in the UI.  Just
> enough to "just print it" (what ever "it" is) and nothing more.
> This is limited to what printer do you want to use and how many
> copies do you want.

This is dangerous -- since in general the printing dialog doesn't know
what kind or size of paper is loaded in the machine, or in some cases
what ink cartridges are loaded, it could make bad choices, possibly
disastrously so (e. g. if it picks matte black ink, but glossy paper
is loaded, the ink may come off on the rollers).

--Eric Crampton