[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri May 6 19:44:26 PDT 2011

On May 6, 2011, at 2:42 PM, Hal V. Engel wrote:

> There is only one options panel in the CPD and the user can control what apppears on it.  Don't conflate current print dialog UI design with the CPD's UI design as the CPD has a very different UI.  It was specifically designed by a UI design expert (actually a team of experts) to deal with this issue.  It does a good job of presenting the complexity continum if the PPD file for the printer driver is done correctly.

A huge part of good UI design is avoiding obscurity, and there is an inherent obscurity that occurs when adding options. So merely organizing an incredible quantity of options isn't going to avoid obscuration.

I've provided my 2 cents. I look forward to seeing the CPD with suitable example PPDs and how it all works and in particular what the defaults are. Hopefully a bulk of these options are hidden by default and those users who want to go digging can, rather than subjecting the majority to cleaning things up.

> > This is why I think the bulk of Gutenprint options should be in an
> > application.
>
> And what application should that be?

I'm suggesting one should be written instead of the effort of turning a print dialog box into something that has the complexity of an application.