[Openicc] Thoughts

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Sun May 8 15:42:21 PDT 2011

Is anyone here active in the IEEE’s PWG?

Among their other working groups, they are currently working on a
specification for “cloud printing”¹.  The two interesting outcomes
should be a strong takeup by the printer manufacturers of IPP over
USB and the PWGRaster² format.  That combination should have a
/significant/ positive impact on our needs.

It is very unlikely that there will be any significant use of the CPD
except for legacy apps (which currently use lpr(1) or lp(1)) and as an
example dialog the authors of frameworks like GTK and qt might use when
designing their own print dialogs.  Ie, a separate application will not
fly for most apps authors.

As such, we should not rely on or wait for the CPD.  Most of the use of
the initialism CPD instead should specify “print dialog”.

(Which is not to suggest that the CPD should be abandoned or anything;
it should be completed.  But we must be realistic about its future.)

1] Please excuse the use of the marketing gobbledygook “cloud”.  Bleh.

2] A proper subset of CUPSRaster.

-JimC