[Openicc] Thoughts IEEE PWG

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Mon May 9 05:09:17 PDT 2011

Hello to all,
Reading "wd-ippjobprinterext3v10-20110330.pdf"

seems to be quite strange to me.

The ICC profiles used as example, are typical ICC-profile for exchange
of documents.
A normal workflow would be, that the profile of the document will
preserved in the print spool file and the printing infrastructure will
extract this profile and does a color conversion from the document
colorspace to the printers colorspace.

To is build a second communication level for exchange of colorspace
informations between user/client and print service does not make any
sense for me, if it can be embedded automatically into the print spool file.

Also the rendering instructions in "5.2.2 print-rendering-intent" are
not practical.
If relative colorimteric is used as default for printing, there should
always be blackpoint compensation be activated. Otherwise, it may will
happen that details in dark tones are lost during printing.

By the way, reading the PWG documents, it seems unclear for me, which
spool formats (PDF, TIFF, JPEG, CUPS Raster and which colorspaces are
supported.

- Is it always the case, that the print spool format must be a raster
format ?
- Or can the printing infrastructure inform the client, that also PDF
could be used ?
- If PDF is supported, which flavours / elements of PDF would be supported ?

If there is one mailinglist to discuss color issues in IEEE PWG
workflow, please let me know which one would be the one.

Best regards
Jan-Peter

--
----------  Please note the new adress --------------