[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Ann McCarthy almccart at lexmark.com
Mon May 9 15:02:28 PDT 2011

Hi Alastair,

Yes - excellent points which are also in the realm of the potential
metadata in an ICC profile -- to record what kind of rendering and
specifically what paper the profile is designed for.

The driver settings should not be one to one with a single profile,
rather there are 1-N profiles that work with a particular set of
driver parameters.

In the case that a driver can intelligently determine that N profiles
match the current setttings (i.e., the profiles all have recorded in
metadata the driver settings they are suited for AND the driver can
compare its current settings to the recorded profile driver settings)
--- then the user should be presented with the choice of just the N
profiles that are right for the current driver settings.
In one scenario the user would have to choose by filename.
Preferentially -- additional metadata in the profile such as 'paper
brand' and/or 'perceptual rendering intent aim' can be used to provide
the user with an understandable choice.

Best regards,
Ann L McCarthy
Imaging Systems R&D