[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue May 10 19:22:52 PDT 2011

Am 10.05.2011 17:23, schrieb Jan-Peter Homann:
> Hello Kai-Uwe and Richard.
> Reading the documentation for Oyranos and g-c-m / colord I still don´t
> understand, how following steps / uses cases are solved:
>
> - how are ICC-profiles linked to printer settings ?
> (which tool should be used ?)

Eighter in the ICC profile itself qualifies for a special device
calibration through its internal meta data or the assignment happens in
a external Oyranos DB.

> - what is the undelying mechanism, that the  user chooses a printer
> setting in the printing panel and the assigned profile is
> automatically used ?

The ColorKeyWord PPD entry is used to collect all colour related options
to weight the profiles against the actual driver settings. This needs
support in applications, which is currently only available in the
Oyranos front ends.

> - what is the mechanism, to integrate new combinations of printer
> setups and assigned profiles in the printing GUI through the user ?

Substitute the eventually included old meta tag with a new desired one
or set just in the DB.

> For Oyranos:
> is there currently a solution available, that Oyranos could set the
> target profile in pdftoraster (GhostScript, Poppler ?)

No, thats part of the GSoC project.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe