[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed May 11 16:47:32 PDT 2011

On May 11, 2011, at 7:33 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> standard qualifiers such as "RGB.Glossy.600dpi" and also extend that
> in the future by stuffing something crazy like XML in there if we
> wanted. I really don't think we want to let the user to manually
> select a printer profile in any UI for the same reasons as I recently
> wrote to this mailing list.

FWIW, we had originally spec'd cupsICCProfile to be a UI option, such that a user could pick a profile from the PPD to use, overriding the automatic selection process. We've since also decided that making profiles selectable is not generally the right approach - instead the profile registration process should indicate which options and values (qualifiers) apply to that profile so that automatic profile selection "Just Works". This precludes the one-off profile workflow, but IMHO that workflow isn't particularly common.