[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed May 11 17:38:35 PDT 2011

On May 11, 2011, at 5:37 PM, Graeme Gill wrote:

> Richard Hughes wrote:
>> wanted. I really don't think we want to let the user to manually
>> select a printer profile in any UI for the same reasons as I recently
>> wrote to this mailing list.
>
> This would seem to lead to a frustrating situation where there
> is poor visibility over what's going on (ie. what profile is
> being used), and no means to experiment, diagnose or correct it
> if it's not working as expected.
>
> Yes "things should just work", but these are computer systems,
> and this is color management, so ease of problem diagnosis is
> actually really important.

Yeah Apple went through this phase where they provided no means to manually set a profile, and still have no means to set a rendering intent (or black point compensation) in the print dialog UI. And this was met with resistance from users. So it's pretty clear in my mind that a manual setting needs to be allowed in the print dialog.