[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu May 12 00:47:09 PDT 2011

On May 11, 2011, at 10:02 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:

> On May 11, 2011, at 6:06 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>> This is where you could have UI to show all of the print job settings including the device profile that will be used (if any). In Mac OS X we have the "Summary" pane...
>>
>> The summary's limited scope means it regularly fails to inform the user what's going to happen. Setting aside any complaints about malformed print drivers doing the wrong thing, the UI will tell me that ColorSync is going to be used when it certainly should not be, and also tells me it will be used when it isn't. So I find the Color Matching summary to be intermittently misleading and thus useless.
>
> I assume you've filed bugs about this behavior?!?  I'm not aware of any reported issues with the summary information, but we do intend for it to be accurate.

Long ago, and I don't see them in radar anymore. I regularly get "works as intended" as responses to my color and printing bug reports, inquiries and commentaries, anyway. So I don't see the point anymore.

However, there are only two values possible for the Summary>Color Matching>Color Matching item: ColorSync or Manufacturer Color Controls. By design, the summary could not possibly be accurate because it lacks a value for "Disabled". There is no Color Matching that's supposed to be occurring when printing targets  or prematched data, but there is no Value for the Summary panel that can communicate this anyway. So in this case, it's not a bug, it does work as intended, but it's a flawed design and the intention missed the mark.

And in any event, this Summary issue is like a 5 year old on a concrete drive way playing with matches. Meanwhile there's a 9000 acre forest fire that people have been bitching about for 7 years, which is how I'd describe the state of unreliable color management (disabling of transforms when needed).

Yes the Summary should be accurate, but way more important ought to be caring about tens of thousands of dollars of wasted ink and media, and the neurological effects as users have been pulling out their hair when they encounter these ICC workflow printing problems on OS X. That's the elephant in the room. So I'm disinclined to become distracted with a comparatively minor problem.