[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu May 12 21:28:28 PDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 10:07 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:

> On May 12, 2011, at 6:54 PM, edmund ronald wrote:
>> >  Mike has made a very nice printing system that can just about print anything except a target.
>>
>> The problems on Mac OS X with respect to target printing predate CUPS, and predate Michael's involvement in architecture.
>>
>> I do think that the OS X 10.5 system worked very well, and so does 10.6. AFAIK Cups was always used, and I think It's a nice solid piece of software. Michael did a large part of CUPS. The only thing I dislike about it, for some reason it has issues with targets :)
>
> CUPS first appeared on Mac OS X for 10.2 (Jaguar). Before that was something called "Tioga", and you will still find some vendors making Tioga printer drivers for Mac OS X which we still support up through 10.6 using a wrapper filter in CUPS.
>
> The issue with target printing is that CoreGraphics always uses ColorSync and there is no simple API that allows an application to either a) specify the device color profile or b) get the device color profile in the print settings (job ticket) at print time.

Both of these have dependencies that aren't really necessary. Producing a standard PDF/X-3 or X-4 print spool and image it per the spec - which would require setting objects to /DeviceRGB for RGB destinations, likewise /DeviceCMYK for CMYK destinations as is already presently the case, would solve the problem. I note we don't have these problems with CMYK output like we do with RGB.