[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu May 12 21:42:39 PDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 8:10 PM, Graeme Gill wrote:

> Michael Sweet wrote:
>> There are very few applications that actually have everything needed to print a target
>> and generate a profile. Even Adobe Photoshop doesn't do it. That said, I am not saying
>> there is only one application that does #1, but that the application in #1 is distinct
>> from a normal user application that prints (using #2).
>
> They aren't necessarily connected though. A profiling application will either
> 1) produce an image file (ie. PS, .tiff, PDF etc)
> or 2) produce and print the test file.
>
> In the case for 1), the application actually used to print the test chart
> will typically be a normal application, using a normal print dialog. It's
> actually good color management practice to print the test chart through
> exactly the same workflow as will be used for the color managed work,
> to ensure that all the processing the same.

Actually not unless you plan on having that application apply the device profile you create. I hope that kind of workflow disappears in favor of a common profile registry that is used when printing from any application. Application-based color management has a long history of not working reliably...