[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri May 13 07:48:01 PDT 2011

Am 13.05.2011 00:42, schrieb Michael Sweet:
> On May 12, 2011, at 8:10 PM, Graeme Gill wrote:
>> Michael Sweet wrote:
>>> There are very few applications that actually have everything needed to print a target
>>> and generate a profile. Even Adobe Photoshop doesn't do it. That said, I am not saying
>>> there is only one application that does #1, but that the application in #1 is distinct
>>> from a normal user application that prints (using #2).
>> They aren't necessarily connected though. A profiling application will either
>> 1) produce an image file (ie. PS, .tiff, PDF etc)
>> or 2) produce and print the test file.
>>
>> In the case for 1), the application actually used to print the test chart
>> will typically be a normal application, using a normal print dialog. It's
>> actually good color management practice to print the test chart through
>> exactly the same workflow as will be used for the color managed work,
>> to ensure that all the processing the same.
> Actually not unless you plan on having that application apply the device profile you create. I hope that kind of workflow disappears in favor of a common profile registry that is used when printing from any application. Application-based color management has a long history of not working reliably...

Still the freedom to programmers has allowed all sorts of progress. So
without giving the freedom to freely program colours to developers, we
will see less inovation on such kind of limiting platforms.
ICC is of great value and I am all for it. but not it is not the end of
the world.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe
--