[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Sun May 15 20:06:17 PDT 2011

Chris Murphy wrote:

> On both Mac OS and Windows it's always been best practices, until recently, to print
> targets from Photoshop with No Color Management, or directly from the profile
> generation app (e.g. ColorMuni or Eye One Match). It is NOT best practices to do it
> with a web browser, or a word processing application. I don't even test that workflow,
> I would never recommend it, I do not expect that it should work correctly. Those apps
> have nothing to do with custom profiling at all. I completely disagree with the idea
> that every app should have the ability to print profile targets. It's one tenth of one
> percent of the market.

You are quite right, that it's not practical. But note the problem with
the Mac is that it stopped being possible to reliably print test charts
in Photoshop and Apples own program, preview.

But again, this is my point - if the basic capability was inherent
in the printing system, then any and every application would
be reliably capable of printing test charts, better ensuring that the
test chart prints reflect the all the other printing conditions accurately.

[ie. this moves things towards robust, away from brittle. ]