[Openicc] Google Summer of Code 2011: The Common Printing Dialog and Color Management

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Tue May 17 05:20:53 PDT 2011

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> How do you think PPD and CPD or Gutenprint can interact with the SCPS tag?

Normally it wouldn't. It would normally be generated by Color Profiling
software, or manually added to pre-defined targets. To facilitate
pre-matching, it would have to be added to applications that
do their own color management and want pre-matching.

> So you expect the tag to be preserved after the PDF rasterisation?

It depends on the print spooling workflow. A print workflow or application
that allows direct submission would work by definition, but I have no
idea whether that is the case with any existing print systems (the
ColorBus RIP allowed direct submission of TIFF and PS files to the Windows
NT base spooler for speed.). If all files are re-interpreted, then the print
system would have to preserve the tag.

> Then
> pdftoraster would be somehow involved. I would like to read more
> descriptions about the intented stage in the process and implementation
> details. That could greatly help.

I'm not sure what you are after. The intent is that the printer driver/RIP
(or whatever handles the color management) should honour the tag as a
"this is in device space" type tag, + extras in terms of the printer
processing. There are details missing in the big picture, such as a means
of a color management/calibration system knowing what printing stages the
printer actually uses, what logical & native colorspaces it supports etc.

> [Gutenprint has annouced support for the ColorKeyWord colour tagging of
> options. That information would cover all options of State 1 - 4.]

I'm not aware of the details.