[Openicc] New Topic: data to share

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Tue May 17 05:27:21 PDT 2011

Scott Geffert wrote:
> When we assume sRGB in any part of the imaging workflow we are essentially clipping
> many colors that most modern printers (and even displays) can reproduce. In fact, Adobe
> RGB clips about 10% of these very printable colors which to me is unacceptable. When
> you are discussing "internal" spaces or untagged spaces for "no color management" I
> would argue that sRGB is not the way to go and many feel that ProPhotoRGB is too large
> but eciRGBv2 is ideal. It is L* based, it has a 5000k white point and the gamut is

There is no compunction to use RGB spaces for wide gamut. Use L*a*b* or something
that is inherently suitable for wide gamut (even scRGB might be better than any of
the RGB spaces you mention).

It's not a good idea to use a wide gamut space as a default space for "mystery meat" RGB
either, if it doesn't match typical expectations, which are often set by displays.
Looking at it statistically, your extreme measured colors are at the tail of the
probability curve, and therefore could be safely ignored for most everyday practical
purposes -i.e. if you are one of the few people who care about accurately reproducing
such extreme colors is important to you, don't use an unlabelled colorspace to store the
color values !