[Openicc] New Topic: data to share

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Tue May 17 12:37:55 PDT 2011

SG> When we assume sRGB in any part of the imaging workflow we are
SG> essentially clipping many colors that most modern printers (and
SG> even displays) can reproduce.

SG> ... we should avoid clipping colors too early in the chain.

The consensus of the colour discussions on the cairo list were that
cairo, given that its api asks for colour values as C doubles, would
treat those values as sRGB, but not clip them until the output step.

That is, [0.0, 0.0, 0.0] is sRGB black, [1.0, 0.0, 0.0] sRGB Red, etc,
but values outside of [0.0,1.0] would be left as is, processed by the
OPs w/o clipping, and only clipped if necessary when writing output
files or sending the values to a display device.

I *think* that the master branch, at least, already has implemented
that much.

LCMS also has support for such a work flow.

SG> I would be happy to share these spectral measurements offline with
SG> developers that wish to put them to good use.

I think we can host that data at freedesktop.org, and offer to do so
myself until such can be arranged.

-JimC