[Openicc] Printing targets: App or driver ? Profiling RGB or CMYK

Alastair M. Robinson blackfive at fakenhamweb.co.uk
Tue May 17 14:46:30 PDT 2011

Hi,

On 17/05/11 22:14, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> So far I had no problems to print out Cmyk targets. One can use Scribus,
> CinePaint on openSUSE/Fedora or Photoprint for that. A
> advantage is that Cmyk profiles impose no a bottlenck to the profiler by
> a fixed Rgb->Cmyk trasnform in the some part of the print chain.

There are advantages to both types of profile, but I see no reason to
disallow either type.  If neither type is disallowed, why does it matter
that you'd prefer to use CMYK and I'd prefer to use RGB?

The Poppler-based pdftoraster can already handle both colorspaces
(though CMYK support is a bit of a hack, that involves Poppler crunching
everything down to a flat RGB image, then pdftoraster converts it to
CMYK using profiles.  This is necessary because Poppler itself - as
built in all current distros - can't output CMYK.)
I'd be very surprised if the Ghostscript-based analogue wasn't equally
flexible, if not more so.

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson