[Openicc] cupsICC on remote CUPS servers Part 2

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri May 20 00:45:26 PDT 2011

Am 19.05.11, 21:25 -0400 schrieb Robert Krawitz:
> On Thu, 19 May 2011 15:58:57 +0200, Jan-Peter Homann wrote:
>>
>> I´m not developer, but I´m working regularly together with
>> developers.  From this experience, the manipulation of pure ASCII
>> files like a PPD is not something very complicated.  Is it really a
>> lot of work to create e.g. a basic PPD without color relevant
>> entries and update the color relevant entries from profile Divtype
>> metadata, which are installed on on the remote CUPS server ?

Does CUPS provide an API to manipulate remote PPD files?
[Please keep in mind a changed PPD will apply to all users of a print
  queue.]

Again, it makes sense to deliver a PPD with fixed settings for a desired
calibration state, add the cupsICCProfile property and ship and install
that PPD with the according ICC print profile. Thats clearly a CUPS server
thing useful for vendors like GutenPrint and administrators as they have
control of packages or the needed access rights.

For user configured profiles that makes not much sense as Hal already
pointed out, because of the static nature of server side installed PPDs.

> For Gutenprint, the first part (creating PPD files without
> color-relevant entries) is no problem.  The rest of it, I'll leave to
> people with more experience in that area.
>
> (Gutenprint's PPD files are all generated based on information in the
> driver.  Since we added information about which options affect color
> in 5.2.7, it would be a simple matter to generate PPD files without
> color information.)

Then the defaults would apply, which appears to me different from the
driver settings that have formed the calibration state during target
printing.