[Openicc] compiz-cms, a color management plugin for compiz 0.9

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon May 23 23:16:12 PDT 2011

Am 24.05.11, 07:59 +1000 schrieb Graeme Gill:
> Gabriel Ebner wrote:
>> going to happen soon.  The only shared code right now is the actual
>> shader implementation.   ICC profile retrieval, texture computation,
>> policy is all implemented differently -- CompICC fully implements the
>> net-color and _ICC_PROFILE specs using Oyranos, while for compiz-cms I
>> tried to reduce dependencies and get as much done without needing
>> additional libraries.
>
> So a question - will calibration (Say using Argyll dispcal) still
> work, or do the device values get "color managed", therefore breaking
> calibration and profiling ? (According to Kai-Uwe, CompICC does
> not break calibration and profiling).

Thats not what I wrote. CompICC does not break applications, which rely on
* the _ICC_PROFILE(_xxx) in X spec
* non colour managed applications
This happens by honouring the net-color spec through the colour server.

Calibration and profiling applications are affected (unfortunedly). I
do not know how to avoid this. Moreover I doubt it would be even
possible. These applications need to use eigther hacks or deploy the
net-color spec for opt-out of colour management.