[Openicc] What is exactly needed for color management in a distro?

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue May 31 08:03:28 PDT 2011

Am 31.05.11, 16:09 +0200 schrieb Till Kamppeter:
> I have started discussion about color management in Ubuntu (and Debian):
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-icc-color-management
>
> Richard Hughes told me that what is needed to get color management into
> Ubuntu is colord, gnome-cups-m,anager and patches for CUPS, Foomatic, and
> Ghostscript.

As I understand CUPS does already vendor side ICC colour management. It
needs a according filters in place to apply the profiles or pass them to
Ghostscript. I guess the according work is done by yourself and
others. I have reservation about what a desktop CMS has to do in the
CUPS server architecture. That aproach appears very fragile regarding
remote colour management among other problems. However, as demonstrated by
its author Richard, it is quickly build together in the short run.

> Now I see that a lot of color-management-related software is announced on
> this list:
>
> - OpenICC Data package 1.2.0
> - basICColor_Offset_2009 package 1.1.1

The provide a widely acknowledged ICC profile set, which is in parts
already in Debian. So it makes sense to continue with this set. Oyranos
relies on them to avoid double colour corrections as good as possible.

> - libXcm-0.4.1
> - Xcm-0.4.0

These are tools to handle monitor EDID information and help with the
net-color spec. They are shared between various tools and applications.

> - Oyranos Version 0.3.1

The Oyranos CMS targets at highly automatic userfriendly and including
professional use. It does not try to penetrate the OS in a way, that it
needs root rights or patches for Ghostscript and CUPS. It reaches this by
adhering to standards like PDF, ICC and more, which brings
interoperability, robustness and scalability in the long run.

> - ICC Examin 0.49

A detailed ICC profile and colour space viewer GUI, compareable to tools
available on osX and Windows.

> Is also one or another of these packages needed or at least highly
> recommended?

ArgyllCMS, lcms2 and xcalib are really valuable colour management software
and the first two certainly the base for Linux colour management.

dispcalGUI would be very useful for monitor profiling. It is cross
desktop.

Scribus and PhotoPrint are at the moment the most relyable colour
managed printing applications on the Linux desktops.