[Openicc] What is exactly needed for color management in a distro?

Gabriel Ebner gebner at 2b7e.org
Tue May 31 08:12:00 PDT 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 31.05.11, 16:48 +0200 schrieb Gabriel Ebner:
>>
>> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> There is also an Oyranos-free compiz color correction plugin:
>>
>> https://github.com/gebner/compiz-cms
>
> compiz-cms would break all applications, which rely on _ICC_PROFILE(_xxx)
> atoms as it has currnetly not automatism to avoid double colour correction.
> This means Krita, Gimp, Inkscape, Scribus and so on would break colour wise.

It breaks *less* applications than compicc, since it doesn't rely on
the applications to implement the net-color spec (which none of the
above implements), but instead allows you to manually specify a
whitelist for color-managed applications.

I'm running compiz-cms on all my machines, all the time -- which was
not possible with compicc, exactly because compicc broke Firefox,
Gimp, and every other color managed application.

Gabriel.