[Openicc] What is exactly needed for color management ... driver setup

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Tue May 31 09:11:44 PDT 2011

Hello Till and all,
The g-c-m, colord, GhostScript CUPS workflow having currently some
important open issues:

Firstly, it is unclear, how the synchronisation of driver settings and
printer profiles is organized. If this topic is not solved, it will be
impossible for the normal user to work with printer ICC profiles.

Apple is offering a solution quite comparable to "g-c-m, colord,
GhostScript CUPS" since years and it is still a source of big color
chaos in the printing chain, because they are not able able to to
synchronize colorsync printer setups and drivers...

My personal preferred solution for solving the synchronization issue
would be to integrate the driver settings as dictType Metadata into the
printer profile and to embedd the printer profile in the output from
gstoraster.
This would allow the driver (e.g. rastertogutenprint) to extract the
setttings from the embedded ICC profile from the output of gstoraster.

Also printing GUI and PPDs have to be changed for color managed printing
path with "g-c-m, colord, GhostScript, CUPS".
Every setup for different media and resolution/quality needs and
independent CUPS queue for the same printer.

If we have e.g. the printer "EpsonXY" with settings for:
- plainpaper draft
- plainpaper highres
- inkjetpaper hires
- photoglossy hires
- photoglossy bestquality

The user has to create 5 CUPS queues for the printer "EpsonXY" with
different driver setups and individual printer profile for each queue in
g-c-m / colord (or Oayranos as an alternative framework...)

Depending if the printer profiles have embedded driver settings, we need
a new PPD file for "EpsonXY" which has stripped of all color relevant
driver settings.

If we agree on a infrastructure with "g-c-m, colord, GhostScript, CUPS"
and printer profiles with embedded driver setups, we also need a
infrastructure to create such printer profiles including embedding the
driver setups into the printer profile.

Best regards
Jan-Peter