[Openicc] What is exactly needed for color management in a distro?

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Tue May 31 16:57:51 PDT 2011

Richard Hughes wrote:
> LCMS isn't comparable to WCS or ColorSync. The latter two are system
> frameworks with CME's, but LCMS just *isn't* a CMF. colord aims to be
> a CMF, not a CME. Oyranos is both a CME and a CMF.

I'm not sure that this distinction is all that significant. If
you're making an opt-in CMM, the only substantial difference
is the presence of standard ways of registering profiles to devices,
and even this is distinct functionality. (ie. I don't buy into
the idea that a CMM "has to be part of the OS", anymore than I buy
into the idea that a "web browser has to be part of the OS").