[Openicc] What is exactly needed: Embedded Profile in CUPS raster !!

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 01:20:30 PDT 2011

On 06/02/2011 10:07 AM, Alastair M. Robinson wrote:
> I disagree - I'm very nervous about having any degree of confidence in a
> system choosing the *right* profile for any given set of printer
> options, since as you say, there's a combinatorial explosion and only a
> handful can possibly be covered.
>
> Also there's a one-to-many relationship between printer settings and
> profiles which can't be taken into account by a system that
> automatically selects a profile from a bundle of settings. (The system
> can't know which particular paper I have loaded when several different
> brands of glossy paper need the same print settings but different
> profiles.)
>
> For a long time we've wanted a way of bundling up a settings blob with a
> colour profile for easy distribution. The profile meta tag gives us that
> ability if we play it right.
>
> Having the printer settings bundled up into a single object should
> vastly reduce the number of printer options that have to be exposed to
> the user, which should please the usability-over-usefulness folks.
>
> Finally, ICC profiles can be embedded in PDFs using OutputIntent, which
> makes it (potentially) possible to use profile/settings blobs without
> having to install anything on the server when client and server are
> different machines.
>
> Using the Choose Profile -> Implies Printer Settings paradigm does solve
> a number of issues and I think it's pretty compelling.

To prevent the user from the situation that he has to choose color
profiles (and know what that is) instead of printer options or that he
has to be lucky to have chosen the right combination of options to get
color management applied (note that we then get bug reports as "I have
changed one little parameter and colors got totally different") we need
to assure that for all presets (set of settings defined with
"*APPrinterPreset" keyword in the PPDs, like "Photo", "Office Document",
...) are covered with a color profile (to be created by printer
manufacturer/driver supplier). Then if the user uses the CPD only in
level 2 (only presets, not individual options visible,
http://wiki.openusability.org/wiki/printing/index.php/Dialog_Levels) he
gets always color-managed printouts.

    Till