[Openicc] What is exactly needed: Embedded Profile in CUPS raster !!

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Jun 2 03:53:17 PDT 2011

On 02.06.2011 12:19, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 2 June 2011 10:58, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> I dont say " Choose Profile -> Implies Printer Settings paradigm" should
>> be the only one. Its just important to have in the toolbox.
> In my opinion it's fundamentally flawed. An ICC profile is not a

ICC profile selection is a part of the freedom of choice. I do not see
anything flaw in this idea. Thats of course different from providing
only particial freedom like source code to a GUI without selection
options. IMO the later one is flawed as it only talkes about freedom,
but in reallity takes freedom away by making learning and customising
extremely difficult.
LGM had a big theme of "reclaim your tools". I do not see this
fullfilled by completely taking away a profile selector, which is hidden
anyway for most users.

> user-visible preset, it's just an implementation detail of the color
> architecture.

Its good to integrate ICC profiles in presets. But we need as well the
freedom to learn things and to inovate. If thats a few mouseclicks away
thats good usability and freedom.

regards
Kai-Uwe