[Openicc] What is exactly needed: Embedded Profile in CUPS raster !!

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 06:21:44 PDT 2011

On 3 June 2011 03:48, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2011, at 4:19 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
>> On 2 June 2011 10:58, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>>> I dont say " Choose Profile -> Implies Printer Settings paradigm" should
>>> be the only one. Its just important to have in the toolbox.
>>
>> In my opinion it's fundamentally flawed. An ICC profile is not a
>> user-visible preset, it's just an implementation detail of the color
>> architecture.
>
> I would not be bothered by seeing direct access to them vanish entirely. All I care about as a user are results.
> Otherwise, I don't need to directly choose ICC profiles at all. They are merely a means to an end. ICC is a highly consequentialist workflow.

Agreed. I've attached a screenshot is what I've got prototyped in GTK
right now. The user can see what profile is going to be used  (if they
care...), which changes in real time as the different paper types and
output modes are changed. At the moment it's just showing the profile
title in the label, but we can easily add the date to that if
required. Also, the profile was created on plain paper, so if you
select "Glossy" you actually get "ColorMunki, HP Photosmart b109s
Series Glossy Media".

It's a little way off being pushed upstream to GTK, but it shows what
my intentions are. Feedback welcome.

Richard.