[Openicc] What is exactly needed: Gutenprint GUI selectors

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Mon Jun 6 05:38:52 PDT 2011

Hello list, hello robert,
If we have a serialized Gutenprint Settings, I would recommend to use
following qualifiers / selctors as part of the setting, which are
displayed in the printing GUI (e.g. CPD)

1) MediaType (Should be detailed as needed)
e.g.
- Photopaper Generic
- Epson Photopaper 210g

2) Resolution / Quality Mode
e.g.
360 DpI - draft
720 DpI - High Quality
1440 DpI - Best Quality

These qualifiers could be used either in a PPD, from which the Printing
GUI is generated or they could be used as ICC profile DictType
Meta-data, if a Colormanagement Framework like e.g. g-c-m or Oyranos is
involved in creating the printing GUI.
In the last case, the PPD should be stripped of from color relevant entries.

Please note for the ICC case, that I would additionally include the
complete settings also as ICC dictType Meta-data.
The two qualifiers / selectors are used to create the Printing GUI from
the available printer ICC-profiles but hiding the profile filenames from
the user interaction.

The complete driver settings have to be communicated to
rastertogutenprint (e.g. as CUPS job ticket data extracted from the ICC
profile...)

Best regards
Jan-Peter

--