[Openicc] What is exactly needed: Embedded Profile in CUPS raster !!

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Jun 6 06:21:52 PDT 2011

On Jun 6, 2011, at 6:09 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:

> On 6 June 2011 12:55, Jan-Peter Homann <homann at colormanagement.de> wrote:
>> May be, you cold use the term "Printer ICC-Profile".
>
> When I asked the designers, only one knew ICC was something to do with
> color, and the other person who knew what ICC was seemed to think it
> was all about the game of cricket. :-)
>
>> - printer model
>> - media type
>> - printing quality
>>
>> it would make sense to display this information e.g
>>
>> profile metada:
>> Printer Model: HP Photosmart B109
>> Media Type: HP Photopaper 210g
>> Printquality: Best
>
> Makes sense. I have to be careful doing this, as my profile at the
> moment is tagged to be used for both Normal and Best, so I'll probably
> talk to the designers about how to structure this type of information.

Well until there is a reliable means of including print quality metadata information in the profile in the first place, I don't see it as being all that useful. I'm unaware of any product that enables this inclusion of metadata.

As for including ICC in the name of anything, I think it means nothing to 99% of users. So that makes it clutter for mortal users. Plus, it's entirely conceivable one day there's support for non-ICC profiles.