[Openicc] New OPENICC_automatic_generated metadata key

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sun Jun 19 22:53:46 PDT 2011

Am 19.06.2011 23:20, schrieb Richard Hughes:
>     * [oyX1]: add OPENICC_automatic_generated meta key
>         .. and set to a value of "1" for automatic generated fallback profiles.

The "OPENICC_automatic_generated" key follows slightly your
"automatic_assignment" key, which you talked about at LGM. I just added
q OPENICC_ prefix and created a similar name to reflect, what I found
more appropriate for fallback profiles. But I am neither satisfied nor
is it much discussed or set in stone.

> Why don't you just use DATA_source=edid like I've been using in colord?

The "edid" value is specific for a device class. As a general concept it
applies to ranking. My above key tried to generalise the "edid" value
for all device classes. I can not get much meaning out of a "calib"
value for a ICC profile in DATA_source. As well DATA is not easy for a
namespace. It is not clear wo whom it belongs and to what it applies.
After all DATA can mean the measurement, the profile or even the
calibration.

How about(?)
OPENICC_profile_source:["device","computer","internet_db"]

Something more tied to the quality of the data source would be useful
for Oyranos like:
OPENICC_profile_quality:["incomplete","low","good","high","very_high"]

A EDID on the fly fallback profile could then be set to:
"OPENICC_profile_source":"device",
"OPENICC_profile_quality":"incomplete"

> See http://gitorious.org/colord/master/blobs/master/doc/metadata-spec.txt
> for the other keys that might also be useful.

As only you decided to work on a CMF, the CMF_ class of key words are
not easy to support I guess ;-)
Would that prefix be more exactly the PROFILER_? There are many
profilers, which are no frameworks and no CMS at all but create ICC
profiles. Otherwise they might be udeful for UIs.

"FILE_checksum" is not clear what it applies to.

regards
www.behrmann.name www.oyranos.org