[Openicc] colord 0.1.9 released - CM Framework - Printer Driver

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Mon Jun 20 04:47:35 PDT 2011

Hello Richard and all,
As Mike Sweet rejected the idea, to embedd the target printer profile of
a "..toraster" conversion into to resulting CUPS raster file, we have to
think about an alternative strategy to synchronize the colormanagement
in "..toraster" and the printer driver settings.

To allow working with printer profiles which are offered as a download
from e.g.
- web profile repository
- webpage from driver vendor / project
- webpage from media vendor
- remote ICC profiling service

I would recommend, that we include following data as ICCdictype metadata
into ICC printer profiles
- CUPS qualifiers for
     - mediatype
     - resolution/quality
(this is needed for synchronizing printer profile selection, with the
GUI of the chooser like e.g. CPD)
- driver setup (e.g. Gutenprint)

The role of the CM framework (g-c-m / colord or Oyranos) would be to be
1) installing of new printer profiles into the system
2) extracting CUPS-qualifiers from the installed printer profiles with
interface to the print chooser
3) extracting driver setup metadata from the installed printer profiles
4 receive information from the print chooser about the selected CUPS
qualifiers
5) send information to gstoraster for the printer profile according
print chooser selection
6) send information to driver (e.g. Gutenprint) about the correct driver
setup for the printjob

Richard and Kai-Uwe,
Could you please comment especially the point 3) and 6) from your
perspective. Doy you plan to integrate such functionalizy into your CM
framework, or do you would prefer another workflow for synchronizing
printer profile selection and driver setup ?

Best regards
Jan-Peter

--
----------  Please note the new adress --------------