[Openicc] - CM Framework - Printer Driver - output intent

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 21 04:55:53 PDT 2011

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 08:39:44 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 21 June 2011 01:17, Robert Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>> Gutenprint knows nothing of the original source document.
>> It receives pure raster data.
>
> Sure, that's true of Gutenprint but surely Gutenprint-cups is the
> component that takes the PDF document and converts it to raster data
> suitable for Gutenprint? Maybe I've misunderstood something. If so,
> apologies.

CUPS constructs a filter chain, where the different parts of the chain
are logically independent.  The Gutenprint CUPS driver merely converts
CUPS-raster data into printer-specific bits.  If the input is a PDF
file, CUPS interposes the appropriate filters to convert it to
CUPS-raster.

The typical filter chain is

pdftops (core CUPS)
pstops (core CUPS)